- Screen Colours:
- Black & Yellow
Each year Bury St Edmunds Town Council, as part of its St Edmund's Day Celebrations, marks the occasion by presenting Civic Awards for 'Citizen of the Year' and 'Young Citizen of the Year'. Individuals are nominated for these awards for their very valuable, and often unappreciated, work they do in their communities.
In 2019, for the first time, these awards were given in partnership with the Bury Free Press and they represent two of the categories in its 'Community Awards for 2019'. The Awards were presented on Thursday 19 September 2019 at The Guildhall, Bury St Edmunds and the winners in each category are as follows:
- Citizen of the Year - Winner: Ernie Broom; Highly commended: Anne Oliver
- Young Citizen of the Year - Winner: Harry Tarpley; Highly commended: James Daly
- Best Event by a Community Group Award - Winner: St Johns Street Independent Traders; Highly commended: The My Wish Soapbox Challenge
- Good Neighbour Award - Winners: Libby Ranzetta and Sam Reid; Highly commended: Pauline Judge
- Lifetime Achievement Award - Winner: Tom Murray; Highly commended: Ernie Broom;
- Best Community Group Award - Winner: Gatehouse; Highly commended: Libby Ranzetta and Sam Reid, Claudette Racine
- 'Keep Bury Tidy' Award - Winner: Eileen Andrews
- 'Green Fingers' Award - Winner: Harry Tarpley; Highly commended: Lynda Seldis
Our congratulations are extended to all of the winners and thanks go to everyone who took the time and trouble to complete a nomination form, to the sponsors and most of all to those who give so much to our communities.